Birthday Haiku

Gracefully aging
Luminous soul casting light
My dear friend Susan

Today one of my dearest and most treasured friends, Susan, turns 65.  She is a constant source of inspiration for me in so many areas of my life.   To my delight, I discovered a wonderful synchronicity in today’s entry in Mark Nepo’s, The BOOK of AWAKENING where he writes about the power of being our authentic selves.  He expands on what Carl Jung defined as “the unconscious influence of one being on another”.  Reading this made me realize that, beyond all the support and encouragement she gives me on the physical plane, there is the radiant energy she emits by just being her genuine self – nothing more, nothing less.   As Mark says, . . . without any intent to shape others, we simply have to be authentic, and a sense of mana, of spiritual light and warmth, will emanate from our very souls, causing others to grow – not toward us, but toward the light that moves through us. . . by being who we are  we not only experience life in all its vitality, but, quite innocently and without design, we help others to be more thoroughly themselves.

So isn’t this a wonderful reminder for all of us that by simply being authentic we can help each other grow.  Let’s all remember to shine our light where ever we go today –  just being totally ourselves, happy in our own skin, and by so doing we may positively influence someone else.  Often the small differences we make in the world have a big impact.

Happy Birthday Susan, my cherished Anam Cara.

11 Responses to Birthday Haiku

1. What a beautiful gift you gave her! I have written many for special people over the years. She looks fab! Margie

2. suellen1234 says:

Thanks for your inspiration to write more Haiku

3. Barbara says:

Hi, Suellen – this is Susan’s friend Barbara, and on her recommendation am now subscribed to your blog, which I am enjoying tremendously. What a treat to see her photos here on her special day!

4. suellen1234 says:

Thanks Barbara for following my blog. We are both blessed to have such a special friend in Susan!

5. sophie10 says:

Another inspiring keeper. . .I am glad I already have a feeling for Susan from pour visit.

Dee

6. suellen1234 says:

Oops! I imagine you know I meant sense.

7. eof737 says:

She is gorgeous! Happy Birthday Susan! :-)

8. suellen1234 says:

Yes, she is gorgeous, inside and out.

9. Wow Suellie!,
    So much to say, but for now, i,too, read the march 30th entry from your beautiful birthday book by mark nepo while we were away and thought how lovely to have that entry on my day. And of course, because indeed, we are linked together on so much more than the physical plane, you read it and quoted it too. i am touched beyond any words i have to tell you what you mean to me in this life. I thank my lucky stars for you!
    We just got back from a weekend away, as you guessed. i’ll call you Tues. if not before. My birthday box blew me away, but that deserves a more personal thank you…stay tuned!
    I love you

10. anda says:

Thank you for this post because it reminds me of the wonderful power of being authentically who we are! There is also such freedom in complete self-acceptance, even as we learn and grow and change as change comes along.